What is Canva?
Canva is a graphics design tool that simplifies the learning process. It allows users to edit images and learn from the project-based materials using a simple drag-and-drop interface.
From brainstorming as a collaborative group to creating individual projects, it has plenty of potential uses in the classroom. Since it is optimized for Chrome books, more image-intensive projects can also be processed on most machines with smoother interaction. The platform has 420,000+ templates, over 75 million premium photos, videos and graphics, and over 3,000 fonts, all of which are free to use. These numbers go above and beyond if you buy the premium version.
So, whether you are new to Canva or an expert, you can start and progress through a topic very easily using the templates and other available tools.
In other words, Canva for Education is the learning-based extension of Canva, where interactive, immersive teaching and learning can take place virtually. In times where conducting offline classes is not permitted or remote teaching has become the go-to option, Canva for Education can help facilitate a learning environment that mimics the educational continuity, access, and structure that makes traditional schools of utmost importance. The platform is a way to continue the classes and lessons online without having slow, clumsy technology getting on the way.
Why Canva for Education?
Canva for Education is an unflawed platform, perfect for a teacher or educator switching to remote teaching or online classes and those who want to strengthen their classroom creativity. The main advantage is whether educators or students; both can access Canva for free, with no offerings or time limits.
Canva is compatible with platforms that most of us already use, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Google Classroom, so registration does not mean giving up the processes you have created and streamlined elsewhere. Also, as a teaching tool, Canva is extremely good at encouraging creativity, enhancing collaboration and streamlining work.
With its easy-to-use features and a one-stop connection for student access, Canva for Education is built for everyone.
Canva Features for Education
Canva is packed with features; with many which are education specific.
- Canva’s 60,000+ ready-to-use templates are fantastic to make any poster, or learning resource more impactful; it also has various powerful tools and activities to make putting ideas together and brainstorming with students a cakewalk.
- It allows educators to create lesson plans, project-based learning and creative activities for learners across age groups. With customisable templates, Canva enables educators to make personalised and engaging learning content.
- Also, creating talking presentations is a great way to communicate new concepts, and Canva is an excellent platform for that.
- To teach formulas, vocabulary, experiments, and a ton else, flashcards are quick and easy to create with Canva.
- Creating photo books and collages is a great way to create a memory lane for students with Canva.
- Canva’s Lesson plan templates can neatly and innovatively present to-do lists, planners, or any other information in an orderly fashion.
Its eye-catching poster templates easily convey any information and are ideal for bringing attention to class rules, lab regulations, competitions, events announcements, or other important information.
- Slideshow templates on Canva allow educators to create and design interactive and engaging presentations.
- In order to share student performance with a twist, teachers can also pick specifically curated report cards template.
Canva helps teachers create, collaborate and engage their students on its virtual classroom space. With the district feature all teachers, students and school admin can access, collaborate and engage with each other on the journey of digital making and creativity.
Canva has made a mark in international regions; over 57 million monthly active users in 190 countries, including a staggering 15 million teachers and students, have created more than 4 billion designs on the platform.
How to get started with Canva for your school?
First of all, sign up to Canva with your school email account to get started. Then, head to Canva for Education read all available features and tools before scrolling down and recording, using pertinent details about yourself and your teaching role. You should hear back from a Canva team member within 24 hours, and once you are approved, you are ready and raring to go.
Once approved, you can begin creating your virtual classroom and invite students on the platform.
To learn more, click here.