Canva, the world’s only all-in-one visual communication platform, has announced its unveiling of a suite of K-12 education products as part of its Canva for Education platform, making the firm the first to deliver AI-powered educational solutions on a large scale.
Canva’s new suite of offerings, which includes various AI tools, interactive lessons, and curriculum-supporting content, elevates the company from a classroom design tool to an end-to-end education platform capable of developing and teaching whole courses. The announcement comes as the organization approaches 50 million education users worldwide, an estimate that has more than doubled in the last year.
Commenting on the latest development, Co-founder & Chief Product Officer of Canva, Cameron Adams, said:
Today marks the most significant leap forward in our journey with Education to date. These new products evolve Canva from a classroom design tool to a comprehensive learning platform for students and educators. We’re incredibly excited to see how these tools help millions of teachers supercharge their creativity, save time, and engage their students by embracing the best of what this new technology offers.
Introducing Classroom Magic: A suite of groundbreaking AI learning tools. The rapid advancement of artificial intelligence unlocks a myriad of opportunities for teachers and students to supercharge their creativity, save time on mundane work, and unlock new ways of thinking in an increasingly digital world. However, Canva’s AI study revealed that most teachers (93%) need help knowing where to start with these tools. Today, Canva is introducing Classroom Magic – a suite of new artificial intelligence tools designed for the classroom with privacy, trust, and safety at the forefront.
These new tools empower teachers to effortlessly manage lesson planning, content editing, document reformatting, image and text editing, multilingual support, and accessibility. For students, the tools unlock new ways of starting first drafts, testing ideas, reformatting content, editing images, and bringing creativity to life in a visual world. Teachers now have free access to the full suite of Canva’s Magic Studio products, with a subset available for students at the discretion of their school district. The new products include:
- Magic Write: Save time drafting content by starting with a simple prompt. Generate lesson plans, summarize complex concepts, brainstorm ideas or rewrite content in seconds.
- Magic Animate: Bring videos and presentations to life with seamless animations. Captivate the classroom by updating pages with eye-catching transitions, made possible with one click.
- Magic Switch: Transform whiteboard brainstorms into documents or presentations with just a click, or turn a display into a website or video to suit different styles.
- Magic Grab Images: Seamlessly create picture-perfect content with effortless editing. Select the subject of an image to edit, reposition, or resize it.
- Magic Grab Text: Gone are the days of manually rewriting a photo of the whiteboard. Instantly grab text out of photos of documents or screenshots to edit or use across other designs.
- Translate: Make teaching and learning easy in every language. Instantly convert designs into different languages with more than 100 options.
Jason Wilmot, Canva’s Head of Education, added:
As the technological revolution unfolds, classrooms worldwide must meet the moment. With this launch, we’re both giving teachers the easy-to-use, all-in-one platform they want and preparing students for a world that is increasingly visual and powered by AI. We know that Canva’s tools will likely be the first exposure to AI technology for many teachers and students–and that’s a responsibility we take seriously. We’re committed to being a safe partner to schools, teachers, and students, now and in the future.
Introducing Canva’s Lesson Suite: Create and teach engaging lessons.
Canva for Education has become a widely adopted tool in classrooms worldwide. Today, the platform is used by millions of students and teachers for everything from creating presentations to adding a creative flair to assignments. With the introduction of Canva’s new Lesson Suite, the company offers a range of new tools designed to help teachers save hours of preparation by delivering creative, engaging, and interactive lessons directly within Canva. Lesson Suite includes:
- Canva Lesson Builder: A tool that enables teachers to create truly customizable and fully sequenced lessons built to keep students engaged.
- Curricular Lessons: A range of ready-to-teach lessons that support the K-8 curriculum across Maths, Science, English, and Art.
- Future Skills Lessons: Created in collaboration with experts like NASA and the New York Times, Canva now offers several real-world courses to equip students with skills from financial literacy to AI.
- Canva Education Library: More than 5,000 new free classroom resources across Maths, Science, Art and Design curriculums. Teachers can browse lessons by grade, subject, and topic.
- Design Accessibility Checker: Instantly check the accessibility of presentations and videos to ensure it meets diverse learning needs. With one click, add automatic alt-text and adjust contrast.
- Canva Shield – safe, private, and responsible artificial intelligence
School districts can grant students access to Canva’s Classroom Magic products while keeping stringent monitoring. With these initiatives, it is at the forefront of the safe incorporation of artificial intelligence in the classroom. Canva Shield provides a safe place for kids and educators to use AI confidently.
Canva Shield encompasses several industry-leading safety measures. Ranging from a range of robust trust and safety features, reporting functionality, automatic content moderation, and the strict protection of student and teacher data – Canva is committed to setting a leading example for the safe and responsible introduction of this technology in classrooms worldwide. The company is committed to not training its proprietary AI models on education data. Canva Shield for the school also includes:
- Advanced Educator Controls: School administrators can set permissions for access to AI tools.
- Automatic Reviews: Automatic review of input prompts to prevent inappropriate material.
- Blocked Terms: Over 10 thousand words are secured to ensure AI content is safe for school.
- Reporting Options: The ability to report and block any potentially unwanted terms or content.
Students and teachers now make up a third of the Canva community
Since launching in 2019, Canva for Education has become a holistic, end-to-end resource for educators. Canva firmly believes in leveling the playing field, ensuring that every classroom, regardless of location or resources, has equal access to cutting-edge technology completely free of charge. The platform is committed to closing the AI knowledge gap for teachers by launching several free resources and enablement materials to help teachers get the most out of this technology. Teachers have free access to Canva’s Design School resources, with information on how to best use AI.
Canva’s community of students and teachers has grown exponentially, soaring to 50 million, a figure that has more than doubled in the past year. The surge underscores the platform’s increasing influence and adoption, reinforcing the proliferation of design and visual communication in classrooms worldwide. These new products, now empowering over 600,000 schools, are ushering in a new era and making Education more accessible and engaging than ever before.
Canva, which was founded in 2013, aims to make design accessible to everyone across the globe. Anyone can take an idea and turn it into something beautiful thanks to a simple drag-and-drop user interface and a vast library of fonts, stock photography, illustrations, video footage, and audio clips, as well as an extensive library of templates ranging from presentations, documents, websites, social media graphics, posters, apparel, and videos. Canva for Education gives K-12 teachers and students free access to Canva’s full range of visual communication tools and classroom-specific features.