Differentiated instruction and assessment also known as differentiated learning or, in education, simply, differentiation is a framework or philosophy for effective teaching that involves providing different students with different avenues to learning in the same classroom in terms of: acquiring content; processing, constructing, or making sense of ideas; and developing teaching materials and assessment measures so that all students within a classroom can learn effectively, regardless of differences in ability.
Well, the concept of this pedagogy is to acknowledge the different caliber and to cater the vivid needs of the students. The approach may require teachers to differentiate content, process, products, or the learning environment, the use of ongoing assessment and flexible grouping makes this a successful approach to instruction. As the term suggests, Differentiation means tailoring instruction to meet individuals’ needs. Differentiation consists of the efforts of teachers to respond to variance among learners in the classroom. The process requires teacher to reach out to individuals or small group to vary their teaching in order to create the best learning experience possible, that teacher is differentiating instruction.
Teachers who practice differentiation in the classroom may:
– Design lessons based on students’ learning styles.
– Group students by shared interest, topic or ability for assignments.
– Assess students’ learning using formative assessment.
– Manage the classroom to create a safe and supportive environment.
– Continually assess and adjust lesson content to meet students’ needs.
Benefits of Differentiated Instruction:
1. It meets the needs of diverse learners as it has a student-centered approach.
2. No Child Left Behind
3. It stimulates creativity by helping learners to understand the ideas rather than rote memorization.
4. It can raise the bar for all learners.
5. It can motivate the unmotivated learners.
6. Each Child is taught to Their Learning Style.
7. Each Student has an Individualized Learning Plan.
8. Teacher Creativity.
Watch these videos below to get a better understanding of the concept:
Titled “What is Differentiated Instruction?”, the video will give you a simple and basic understanding of the concept.
Watch this video below to know how using Differentiated Instruction can support all learners.
This video will help teachers with differentiation of instruction to provide an effective, engaging, learning environment by creating a culture of student success and meeting the needs of all students.
Watch educators using various Differentiated Instruction Strategies in this video below.
Classroom management can get a little difficult and tricky with hands on this approach. The video below will help you guide you on the same.
This video on “Effective Small Group Differentiated Instruction” will help teachers with small group instruction.
Share your views and experience on the use of this approach with us in the comment section below.